Our Dental School is 1 year old and we have the first new, purpose built Hospital and School of Dentistry for almost 40 years. Our innovative building has been designed to offer world-class research facilities and a modern learning environment for over 600 students and trainees.
Therefore the time was right for our researchers from the University of Birmingham to showcase our cutting edge research. The day was specifically aimed at our industry collaborations driving innovation in the sector, touring the research facilities and networking with leading individuals in the sector.
There were introductory Speeches as follows
- Professor Tim Softley, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Transfer
- Professor David Adams, Head of the College of Medical and Dental Sciences
- Professor Iain Chapple, Head of the School of Dentistry
Professor Herb Sewell delivered the key note speech: ‘Dental Research Reaches Beyond the Mouth’, alongside an overview of the unique Life Science capabilities in Birmingham and snapshots of the University’s research in Dentistry and related areas.
Following this there were 10 minute presentations “Oral Sciences Research in Six”
- Biomaterials – Dr Richard Shelton
- Phototherapy – Professor Will Palin
- Biofilms – Dr Sarah Kuehne
- Periodontal disease – Professor Iain Chapple
- Ultrasound research and nanoparticles – Nina Vyas
- Clinical trials – Professor Thomas Dietrich
Finally there were tours of the building to include the clnical and teaching areas to include research laboratories.